The UM Nurse Midwifery Service offers care for essentially healthy women throughout their life cycle. For centuries, midwives have attended women during pregnancy and childbirth. Midwifery care is holistic in focus, focusing on women and including those who are important to her. Certified Nurse Midwives are registered nurses who have advanced education in both midwifery and nursing. We are certified by the American College of Nurse-Midwives and are licensed as both nurses and nurse midwives by the State of Michigan.
The philosophy of the UM Nurse Midwifery Service is that sexuality, pregnancy, childbearing and menopause are significant, natural events in a woman's life. We spend time listening to women and offering both support and health education. As a result, women can benefit from our experience and our personal care in order to feel confident making informed health decisions throughout their lives.
The University of Michigan Health System Certified Nurse-Midwives work with U-M physician colleagues who are readily available for medical consultation, collaborative management, or referral for care as needed.
- prenatal care
- labor support and management
- assistance during the birth of your baby
- care after your baby's birth
- education during pregnancy on topics such as nutrition, exercise, planning for labor/birth and parenting
- education on breastfeeding and baby care
- preconception counseling
- care during perimenopause, including counseling
well-woman gynecological exams, including:
- complete physical and pelvic exams, Pap smears and treatment of infections
- counseling on family planning methods
- prescriptions for birth control methods including pills, nuvaring, implants, IUDs, Depo Provera.
Research shows that Nurse-Midwives provide cost-effective care that is safe, sensitive and focused on the individual woman. For more information on Certified Nurse Midwives please see our professional organization Web site: myMidwife.org.
Certified Nurse Midwives:
Visit our health providers page for a full list faculty members within the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, or go directly to the UofMHealth.org profiles of our Certified Nurse Midwives:
|Mary Mcguinness, C.N.M.|
|Anne Rosa, C.N.M.|
|Lisa Scheiman, M.S., C.N.M.|